About Me

My photo
I am currently a student at UC Davis. Since I am undecided on what to major in, I am just exploring what I can.

Monday, October 4, 2010

The Magical Impression of Nutella.


The Magical Impression of Nutella.
Similar to the numbing effect of foreign films, Nutella comes off as an un-American word. Chances are that the common person has not heard of Nutella until they witness the popularity of it within our college campus. I happened to be one of those students, ignorant to the bliss that Nutella creates. But what about Nutella really caught my eye? This little jar manages to break the monogamy that food spreads tend to have. I am so accustomed to the blue lids of the SKIPPY PEANUT BUTTER jar or the red cap used in the JIF Peanut Butter container. But the designing team for Nutella was brilliant in their conceptual ideas. Everything about Nutella has never been done before in food spread marketing. First off, they chose white background for the cover of the label, which sharply contrasts from the dark brown that is Nutella. I asked myself, “Why would a company make such a sharp shift in color for their design?”. The answer was simple, white is such a pure and clean color that gives a better feeling than the murkier shade of brown that Nutella is. Another major difference in the Nutella design was the switch from an circular to an oval shaped- jar. This slight difference at first appears so subtle that it would have little effect. However, this small change gives the Nutella company a slight competitive edge because their product seems to diverge from the common themes of their competitors. As I mentioned in the beginning of this blog, the word Nutella seems foreign to us, and there may be some significance in this. The variety of Nutella is actually more abundant overseas in Europe through different packaging schemes. “European” Nutella is offered in jars and as a “to go snack”. This form brings together Nutella, biscuits, and tea which, in separate compartments, provides a unique experience to the consumer. I wish that the Nutella “to go” product would wash on the shores of the U.S. because I want a sample.

No comments:

Post a Comment