About Me

My photo
I am currently a student at UC Davis. Since I am undecided on what to major in, I am just exploring what I can.

Monday, October 11, 2010

Stone Soup

What exactly is Stone Soup??? We definitely did not make a soup in the Intro to Design class during lecture!

For Tuesday's Intro to Design class, we were all required to bring any type of item (except food) that we could use for a project called “Stone Soup”. Stone Soup is based on the book and illustration by Marcia Brown (put a link there). The basic thing about Stone Soup is that anyone can put anything on the soup or in this case, it was a project. When Professor Housefield told us about the activity the week before, I was very excited and nervous. I was excited because I had the chance to create something from scratch. The reason I was never was because my group is made up of about seven people. Sometimes its hard to get groups to decide on what to do together as a group because first you have to get the new group who is made up of new individuals to get their heads together and make them into a group.
At first, my group struggled on what should have been created with all the pieces that everyone brought to the activity.

In the end, the group decided that we should replicate the KING from the Deck of Cards. Honestly, I think at first that the group had trouble deciding on how to actually make the replication with the materials that we had. Although I wished that we used all of the materials (probably not ALL but at least a little bit of everything and in small portions), the replica of the King from of the Deck of Cards came together. 






It took us most of the class lecture to finish the activity, but we also had a chance to look at the other “stone soups” from the other groups. I was really amazed at what I saw from the other groups. The other groups in the class definitely knew what the meaning of “Stone Soup” was and used most or if not all of their materials that they brought to their groups.

Credits: Images- Carmen Zhou

No comments:

Post a Comment